All children living within the school's enrolment zone are welcome to enrol at Northland School. The Ministry of Education's instigated enrolment scheme is designed to ensure that there is always space available for local children to attend.
The school encourages enquiries about prospective enrolments. Please contact the school if you wish to visit the school, meet the principal and discuss enrolment procedures.
The Board of Trustees and staff of Northland School are committed to providing quality education for all students in the school. There is an optimum roll figure for the school which is determined by the existing resources of personnel, buildings, grounds, facilities and other resources. The Board has determined to adopt the statutory provisions for enrolment schemes. This enrolment scheme aims to avoid overcrowding by using the statutory criteria to determine the priority of students eligible to be enrolled in the school.
The optimum end of year roll range is 315 students.
- to maintain the highest possible standard of education delivery to the students attending the school;
- to avoid overcrowding at the school;
- to ensure that undue pressure is not placed on the resources of the school;
- if required, to manage student enrolment by adopting statutory criteria;
- in accordance with the statutory criteria, to guarantee entry to students whose usual place of residence is within the geographic zone.
All students who live within the home zone shall be entitled to enrol at the school. Click here for a map of the Northland area.
The Home Zone of Northland School shall be bounded:
- To the North by and including Pembroke Road, to the junction with Mairangi Road and excluding Worcester and Hereford Street.
- To the West by and including Curtis Street, Wilton Road and the intersection with Worcester Street, Raroa Crescent to the intersection with Moana Road and Waipu Road.
- To the East by the Western Slopes Reserve and Stellin Memorial Park.
- To the South by, but not including, Glenmore Street, Upland Road and the Karori Tunnel.
Proof of residence within the home zone may be required.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Twice a year the Board will determine the number of places which are likely to be available for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The Board will publish this information by notice in a daily, or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First Priority is not applicable at this school because the school does not run an approved special programme.
- Second Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth Priority will be given to applicants who are children of former students.
- Fifth priority will be given to applicants who are children of Board employees or children of Board members.
- Sixth Priority will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
The following streets are within the Northland School Enrolment Zone:
- Albemarle Road
- Bank Road
- Bedford Street
- Cardigan Way
- Cheshire Street
- Creswick Terrace
- Crieff Street
- Curtis Street
- Farm Road
- Flint Way
- Garden Road
- Glamorgan Road
- Governor Road
- Harbour View Road
- Huntingdon Street
- Kaihuia Street
- Kaihuia Terrace
- Lanark Road
- Mataroa Avenue
- Middlesex Place
- Military Road
- Monmouth Street
- Norfolk Street
- Northland Road
- Orangi Kaupapa Road
- Pembroke Road
- Puketiro Avenue
- Putnam Street
- Randwick Road
- Raroa Crescent (to the junction with Moana Road)
- Rodney Street
- Seaview Terrace
- Sydenham Street
- The Rigi
- Thorby Street
- Waiapu Street
- West Road
- Wilton Road (to the junction of Worcester Street)
- Woburn Road